Divinity was signed up for training classes so she can earn her Canine Good Citizen certification. This certification is the first step in her becoming a certified Therapy Dog. The training classes started today, so we will not be going to her Saturday playgroups for a while.
I had initially hoped Divinity could test out of Level 1 today, but neither of us were quite on the mark performing two of the tasks, so we’ll need another week.
Level 1 consists of the following tasks that must be completed successfully:
- The owner can recognize and fix a tight leash.
- The dog must have stationary attention for 5 seconds with low distractions.
- The dog sits for greeting (the dog’s bottom must stay on the floor, and must not creep, or come forward).
- The dog takes treats with a soft mouth.
- The owner can easily handle the dog’s ears and paws.
- A stranger can take the dog’s leash, get the dog’s attention, and have the dog sit.
Divinity and I need a bit more work on the first two items. However, we’ll be ready next time.