I purchased a 16-blade, Mars King Coat tool. However, after taking Divinity to her groomer, I was told the 16-blade version is the wrong one. My groomer said the model I need is the 8-blade version for a Cairn Terrier. As Divinity’s groomer is a certified Master Groomer, and also teaches hand-stripping show dogs, including Cairn Terriers, I decided to take her advise that I needed another Mars King Coat.
After looking at the King Coat blades, I realized I could remove eight of the blades, have an 8-blade head, and save some money. This modification is very easy, and I’ve listed the steps for you.
Note: Never use a Mars King Coat Tool on a show dog.
Disassembling the Head
- Take a good look at the Mars King Coat tool before removing the head so you will remember how it goes together. I suggest you have a small bowl handy to put parts in before disassembling the tool.
- Loosen and remove the outer nuts holding the head to the handle.
- Remove one of the inner nuts.
- Remove all but one of the blades, including the spacer washers. Leave one blade on the head.
Resassembling the Head
- With one blade on the head, put four washers on, and then add another blade.
- Continue adding washers and blades until you have eight blades on the shaft. Remember to put four washers between each blade.
- When all eight blades are on, screw the other inside nut onto the shaft.
- Now comes the tricky part. Align the blades as they were before you disassembled the head, and tighten the inside nuts. You can adjust the blades using large pliers if necessary.
- When the inside nuts are on, and the blades are aligned, you can put the head back on the handle.
- When the head and handle are assembled, add the outside nuts and tighten them.
Dulling the blades
The last step my groomer suggested was dulling the blades so as to “pull out” dead hair and not “cut” good hair.
Using a fine tooth, round file, pull the file back and forth in the cup of the blades. This only takes a few strokes to dull the blades. However, you can skip this if you don’t mind some good hair pulling out along with the dead hair.